I like tattered designs. It makes me feel rich to be able to use a fabric with life still left in it for a new design. I always hated overly stiff gowns and while I understand people who want to feel perfectly attired, that's so not my style. I love the floaty, flitting butterfly look with bits of old 50's prom gowns and rumpled linens. I don't like glamour gowns with metallic bits and chains or rhinestones. I can do a few sequins. I guess my idea of royalty is wearing something simple and touchable. I want to love the fabric and feel it caressing my skin, feel it blowing in the wind around my legs. So when I pick fabrics I love natural things like linen, soft cottons and gauze, a few mixed fibers with a very soft and rich feel and laces, torn satin and supple silks. I love chiffons and tulle and bits of embroidery. I love something breathable and movable...I think fabric should move...should be wispy and fluttery.


When I make it, it has to have unexpected bits here and there and it can't be perfect... cause....well people really aren't and if they really could they'd hate it. Except in heaven. I think in heaven you could be perfect and it wouldn't make you sad or bored or anything unhappy. It would be just like the hundred and one things you've loved all your life in a moment.

No comments